noun: module; plural noun: modules
- each of a set of standardized parts or independent units that can be used to construct a more complex structure, such as an item of furniture or a building. "ships are now built in modules rather than built in a whole from the base up"
- each of a set of independent units of study or training that can be combined in a number of ways to form a course at a college or university.
- "nine optional modules must be taken"
- any of a number of distinct but interrelated units from which a program may be built up or into which a complex activity may be analysed.
- "a networking module"
- detachable self-contained unit of a spacecraft. "Spacelab, an extra module for the shuttle, will quadruple the experimental facilities on board"